No psychological barrier for Arsenal, says Ancelotti

Arsenal have been eliminated from the last 16 of the Champions League in each of the past six seasons, but Bayern Munich boss Carlo Ancelotti does not believe a psychological barrier will affect the Gunners.

Arsene Wenger s side last made the quarter-finals of the competition in 2009-10, with Bayern eliminating them at this stage in 2013 and 2014.

Despite Arsenal s disappointment on the continental stage for a prolonged period, Ancelotti will not be taking anything for granted and is wary of the threat they pose as Bayern prepare to host Wednesday s first leg.

He told a pre-match news conference: I don t take this into consideration. It will not be a psychological barrier, and if there is a psychological barrier it means they want to move on from this with this…

Bitesize Prediction: Real Salt Lake vs Columbus Crew – 26/06/22

Market: Real Salt Lake win

Odds: 10/11 @

Looking to extend on what has been a stellar purple patch, Real Salt Lake will welcome Columbus to the Rio Tinto Stadium in the early hours of Sunday.

Starting with the hosts, last seen making an immediate return to winning ways with an eye-catching display on home soil, the mood in Real Salt Lake s camp should be at a real high. Eventually cruising their way to a deserved 2-0 victory against San Jose on home soil, Head Coach Pablo Mastroeni has seen his side gain plenty of praise from across the MLS. In fact, mustering 28 points since opening the 2022 campaign, RSL find themselves sat second in the Western Conference. Making a string of improvements over the past few months, Salt Lake have also now won four of their last…

Godin rejects Man United again?

According to reports in Italy, Atletico Madrid defender Diego Godin has turned down the chance to make the jump over to Manchester United. The Red Devils also put forward an offer for the 32 year old back in the summer transfer window which was rejected, and now, he’s taken it upon himself to say no once again.

Godin is said to have chosen an alternative over a move to United, and that alternative is Inter Milan. The Italian side have been on the rise over the course of the last few years, and it appears as if Godin wants to help get them back to where they once were. The Uruguay international has been with Atletico since back in 2010 when he made the jump over from Villarreal, and since then he has been able to firmly establish himself, in the eyes of many, as one of the bes…

Fonseca acknowledges ´there is a lot that needs to be improved´ at Milan after Torino draw

Paulo Fonseca acknowledges there is a lot that needs to be improved at AC Milan, following their 2-2 draw with Torino on the opening day of the Serie A season.

The Portuguese looked like he would suffer defeat in his first match in charge of the Rossoneri, who trailed 2-0 in the 89th minute at San Siro after a Malick Thiaw own goal and Duvan Zapata header.

However, Alvaro Morata gave the hosts hope when he deflected in Tijjani Reijnders long-range effort, before Noah Okafor s last-gasp volley ensured a share of the spoils.

And though Milan s blushes were spared, Fonseca feels their overall performance demonstrated the need for vast improvement.

I did not expect before the game that we would be perfect at this stage, but I must say our first 45 minutes wa…

Palhinha move to Bayern “only postponed” – agent

Bayern Munich were close to completing a deal to sign Joao Palhinha from Fulham on Deadline Day, but the transfer didn t happen in the end. A transfer fee of £65 million was reportedly agreed and the midfielder had flown out to undergo a medical, but the move was dependent on whether Fulham would secure a replacement. The Cottagers contacted Tottenham Hotspur about Pierre-Emile Hojbjerg, but the Denmark international turned them down. In the end, the deadline arrived and Bayern were left frustrated.

However, as relayed by the Daily Mail, Palhinha s agent claims the move to the Bundesliga champions has only been postponed. It remains to be seen whether Bayern complete the deal in January or next summer.

Palhinha only joined Fulham from Sporting Lisbon in 2022. Since the…

He makes others play well – Southgate salutes Henderson ahead of 50th cap

England manager Gareth Southgate paid tribute to Jordan Henderson and his winning mentality as the Liverpool midfielder closes in on a 50th international cap.

Henderson first featured for England s senior side in 2010, starting alongside Steven Gerrard in a 2-1 friendly defeat to France.

Although he had to wait over a year for his next cap, the Liverpool midfielder steadily became a regular in England squads and featured prominently as the Three Lions reached the World Cup semi-finals last year. 

Henderson has often divided opinion among fans at domestic and international level, but Southgate is among his admirers. 

The 28-year-old will win his 50th cap if he features against Montenegro in Podgorica on Monday and the England boss commended him for the …

AFC Champions League Review: Elkeson grabs lifeline for Shanghai SIPG

A second-half strike from Elkeson gave Shanghai SIPG a lifeline in their AFC Champions League tie with Kashima Antlers, as the Chinese Super League visitors slipped to a 3-1 defeat.

The Brazilian struck with 13 minutes remaining to give last year s semi-finalists an away goal to take back to China for the second leg of the last-16 tie next week.

Kashima, who were knocked out on away goals at this stage in 2017 by Guangzhou Evergrande Taobao, were dominant in the first half and took the lead two minutes before the break through Yuma Suzuki.

The home side doubled their lead four minutes after the restart, with Daigo Nishi prodding home after Shanghai failed to clear a corner, and they made it 3-0 against the run of play when Yu Hai headed into his own net.

Newcastle defender Tino Livramento returns to England Under-21s squad

Tino Livramento has returned to the England Under-21s squad for the first time in over 18 months.

The Newcastle defender has not featured since March 2022, having suffered a serious knee injury a month later which ruled him out for over a year.

He has made four appearances for Newcastle since his £32million move from Southampton in August.

Your for two important qualifiers!

— England (@England)

Aaron Ramsey has also returned, with Brentford goalkeeper Matthew Cox – currently on loan at Bristol Rovers – Liverpool defender Jarell Quansah, Hull’s Jaden Philogene and Jonathan Rowe of Norwich given their first call ups for the Euro qualifiers against Serbia and Ukraine.

Boss Lee Carsley said: “Tino is a player we rate highly, it�…

Guardiola, Mourinho, Deschamps – who could replace Allegri at Juventus?

Juventus will soon begin the search for a new coach for the first time in five years after it was announced Massimiliano Allegri is set to depart.

Allegri had been linked with an exit ever since Juve were eliminated from the Champions League quarter-finals by Ajax in March and the news he will leave at the end of the season was confirmed on Friday.

The Old Lady had been considered strong favourites for Europe s elite competition following the signing of Cristiano Ronaldo at the start of the season, with many suggesting he was the final piece of the jigsaw.

But going down to Ajax will be Allegri s last act in Europe for Juve, with the outcome of his meeting with president Andrea Agnelli this week being that the coach will look for a new challenge.

Juve ha…

Roma hit back at ´fanciful´ Totti claims following club legend´s exit

Roma branded the accusations made by Francesco Totti in a parting shot at the club fanciful and far from reality .

Totti officially stepped down as a director of Roma on Monday, bringing an end to his 30-year stay in the Italian capital.

Speaking at an explosive press conference to explain the reasons behind his exit, the former captain hit out at the Serie A side for not taking his views into consideration during his two-year stint in the position.

I never had the chance to express myself, Totti told reporters. They never involved me. The first year that can happen but by the second [year] I understood what they wanted to do.

Official statement from AS Roma: Francesco Totti

— AS Roma English (@ASRomaEN)

They knew of my desi…